
We are very concerned about Chile today. For those of you who haven't heard, there was a 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Chile today where my brother is serving a 2 year mission for our church (lds.org). We are concerned for Chance but we have heard that he is okay. It is a pretty cool story about how we received that news. Chance's companion is Elder May (whom we LOVE). Elder May's parents are Mission Presidents in one of the missions in Santiago. All communications are down in Concepcion where the mission home is so they couldn't get a hold of their Mission President. So, Elder May decided to call his mom. Then, Sister May called my family to let them know that they were okay. Chance definitely has the right companion right now!!! We are SO thankful. My mom heard from another Chile Missionary mom that all the Missionaries in the Concepcion Mission have been accounted for.
The only information that I heard specifically about Chance is that he was sleeping in the top bunk and it almost shook him completely out of bed. I have heard on some news reports that the initial quake shook for at least 90 seconds.
Chance is currently serving in Curico, which is just north of Talca. I found the following in a news article which tells just how big this quake was:
"Saturday's temblor comes about six weeks after an 7.0-magnitude earthquake devastated parts of Haiti and killed more than 220,000 people. The Chilean quake, at magnitude 8.8, was 700 to 800 times stronger.""The quake tore apart houses, bridges and highways, and Chileans near the epicenter were thrown from their beds by the force of the mega-quake, which was felt as far away as Sao Paulo in Brazil — 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) to the east.The full extent of damage remained unclear. Ninety aftershocks of magnitude 5 or greater shuddered across the disaster prone Andean nation within 24 hours of the initial quake. One was nearly as powerful as Haiti's devastating Jan. 12 earthquake."
I will post more once we hear from him but it could be months. Thank you all for your concern. Please keep the Chilean People in your prayers.


7 comments:
We are sooooo glad to hear he is ok.
We will definitely pray for the people and especially your brother! Keep us posted.
Love ya!
Thank you so much for the update! Our prayers will definitely be with Chance :) and the people of Chile
So happy that you heard good news about Chance, but not so happy about the devastation in Chili. We will include the missionaries and the people there in our daily prayers. Thanks for the update.
I thought I remembered that is where he was serving --and I just looked Curico up on the map to see where he is. So happy and relieved to hear that he is okay. We will be thinking of him and the people of Chile.
The first thing I thought of when I heard about this was Chance. I called my dad right away and found out that he was ok but I am still devastated for those people there. We will definately keep praying for him and those people. How scary for him!
We are so glad everything is ok. We will keep him in our prayers!
Post a Comment